[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Jun 17 23:18:41 BST 2008

* Tobias Kremer <list at funkreich.de> [2008-06-17 16:05]:
> A width of 960 pixels is the current standard

Any less than a 1020px window and I get a horizontal scrollbar.

That is why I noticed at all.

> I hadn't heard of jello layouts before - it seems they're very
> rarely used ...

Yes, and it is a pity, as they make it possible to make a site
work on a small screen without looking lost on a cinema display.

Check out the super handy jello layout calculator:
http://sandbox.mikepurvis.com/css/jello/calculator.php
Note that although not demonstrated, it is very to drop in a
`max-width` property: you just drop it into the `#stretch` rule.

I usually pick a layout that is 760px wide at 760px window width
and grows to 1200px at 1600px window width (which makes it ~890px
wide in a 1020px window IIRC) and then cap it at 1200px so it
won’t grow to 1800px on a 3000px cinema display or something.

Then you can use percentages in margins/absolute positions
for parts of the page so that those elements will flow apart
or huddle together depending on the window width, and you get
a layout that never looks like it was made for a different
resolution. I did that on a site I worked on last year based
on directions from the designer we were working with, and it
produced a very nice effect. Unfortunately it’s no longer
online, but I can let you take a look on my dev box if you want.

Regards,