[Catalyst] Kudos and thanks

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Tue Mar 4 03:47:54 GMT 2008

I haven't installed Catalyst from scratch since… I don't know, 2006, I
think. I have reinstalled or installed parts of it many times on many
platforms and that first full installation was the only one that
didn't cause me some kind of problem, sometimes the kind that takes a
couple hours to work out. I wrote an early review of Cat back then,
still on the frameworks homepage, that raved in part about how easy it
was to install. A couple months, and a couple of arguments on the list
about growing installation issues, later I was starting to wish I
could take back some of the review.

I just installed Catalyst::Runtime and Catalyst::Devel from scratch on
a brand new MacBook/Leopard without any modifications to the
environment (well, Xcode but that's required for development) or the
CPAN or anything and they both went in (while following prereqs)
without a single hitch.

I really don't enjoy sysadmin stuff and I begrudge every lost weekend
I've spent trying to recompile Apache with modperl, etc, etc. This was
just completely fantastic. Made me fall in love with Perl and Cat and
recapture the same feeling I had when I first reviewed Catalyst more
than two years ago.

Thanks again to everyone who has worked on making the various pieces
and making the various piece go.

-Ashley