[Catalyst] Push services with catalyst

Brian Kirkbride brian.kirkbride at deeperbydesign.com
Wed Mar 5 20:31:09 GMT 2008

Moritz Onken wrote:
> I'm combining ajax with push. So it's a real push service, the website
> is not pulling the data on a constant time rate.
>
> A process per client is really bad. I'll need to serve hundreds of
> client at the same time. Seems like push is not an option...

Ah... after I clicked send I thought "what if it is a true PUSH using
Ajax to listen?"  Most people think of Ajax polling as a push, though
it's just looks like push with some granularity.  My apologies for
assuming...

Have you checked out COMET?  See http://cometd.com/ for discussion of
all the issues with push.  I haven't looked at it in a long time, but
it was an attempt to deal with your issue.  The Lighttpd developers
are working on something similar called mod_mailbox.  I don't pretend
to understand anything about either :)