[Catalyst] Push services with catalyst

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Wed Mar 5 22:47:42 GMT 2008

Jay wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Moritz Onken <onken at houseofdesign.de>
wrote:
>> I'm combining ajax with push. So it's a real push service, the website
>> is not pulling the data on a constant time rate.
>>
>>  A process per client is really bad. I'll need to serve hundreds of
>> client at the same time. Seems like push is not an option...
>>

>Take a look at cometd: http://cometd.com/

Thanks for mentioning that, it looks interesting, particularly as it's
hooked up to perlbal.

Moritz, I've done something similar before using POE to handle many
connections more cheaply than Apache (thanks to Matt Trout for the
suggestion). It was to serve XML formatted requests though you could return
JSON formatted data just as easily
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?POE::Component::Server::TCP

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk