[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Mon Mar 10 16:29:14 GMT 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 8:55 AM, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Writing
> documentation gets them nothing; they already know how to use
> Catalyst,
> so they're not helping themselves in any way.

I completely agree with your other points, but the above is untrue.
Better docs can mean the life or death of a Catalyst project *and*
especially of Catalyst adoption. No adoption means no community, no
book buyers, and you see the cascade. I'm a position now where it
could go either way for Catalyst and I'm the only one in the shop
with experience with it. There is a lot of trepidation about being
able to even maintain the code I'm writing. Better docs gains fans
and boosters like me. Lack of docs, conflicting docs, etc, gets
the opposite. Gets you hiring committees and project managers
who cringe when the name of XYZ comes up.

To anyone still thinking it's exploitation. Quit being cheap. The cost
of a tech book is generally the amount of money you'll make in a single
hour working.

-Ashley