[Catalyst] Implementing DBIx::Class

Emily Heureux emily at burnham.org
Mon Mar 10 19:49:00 GMT 2008

Hi, I would REALLY like to implement DBIx::Class for our project that
currently uses a different database gateway.  I would like to implement it
slowly if possible, and eventually 'unhook' our project from the old
gateway.  This is what I would like to do.  Can you tell me if this is
possible?

1)       I am looking at the CatalystBasics tutorial, which I did some time
ago.  I have a mysql database, and I want to add to the MyAppDB.pm file a
line like this:  (Notice that I am only adding one table.  Can I just add
one table to test?)

__PACKAGE__->load_classes({
            MyAppDB => [qw/prot/]
         });

2)       Next, I think I would create a MyAppDB/prot.pm file, and load the
one table and columns just like in the tutorial.  One question about this:
Do I have to establish relationships (many_to_many, etc) now, in this file,
like in the tutorial?

3)       Then I need to run this line on the command line:  (Can I replace
'tutorial' with anything I want?)

$ script/myapp_create.pl model MyAppDB DBIC::Schema MyAppDB dbi:mysql
'tutorial' '' '{ AutoCommit => 1 }'

Thanks,

Emily