[Catalyst] Template Toolkit: Filter-PDF+Asian Characters(Japanese)

sindharta_tanuwijaya at yahoo.co.jp sindharta_tanuwijaya at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Mar 11 11:18:20 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have been looking for ways to display/download one of my pages (templates) as a PDF file and perhaps one of the easiest ways is by using the pdf filter function from Template Toolkit.

[%- USE Latex(format='pdf') - %]
[%- FILTER latex  -%]
bla bla english <good!>
some Japanese here <wrong !>

The problem is, although I have been successful in getting pdf files which consists of only alphabet characters, it seems that I can't get kanji  (converted to UTF-8) characters displayed correctly.

I am not sure if the problem only lies within pdflatex (or latex) command in my cygwin setup, which I have been trying to fix for a whole day, but still doesn't work. Or if it also involves another setting or module that I have to install for Template Toolkit.

I am wondering if anyone has been successful in doing it, or perhaps knows a better way to do it ?
This should be obvious, but the PDF is not static since I want to list some dynamic data, such as purchased goods by a certain customer for example.

Sindharta