[Catalyst] implementing ajax

Mesdaq, Ali amesdaq at websense.com
Tue Mar 11 21:18:52 GMT 2008

Jennifer,

Are you sure you want to stick with this route? Looks like your going to
make a lot of work for yourself. I would hate to see the js code to make
xml. Use the js code to just post the values you want read those values
in with something like $c->request->params->{whatever} in your
controller. Then in your controller just spit out json which is not even
really a line of code. If your using the JSON view all you need to do is
put your data in the $c->stash->{json} and it will auto serialize it for
you.

Why would you want to use JSON? Because javascript can just read it
straight in and you can use it without having to parse anything. Your js
would just eval the returned json content and use it. If you return xml
you will need to parse it out and just makes a lot of work.

If you want I can maybe create something on the wiki on how to use
mochikit for the js part of it and catalyst for the controller part of
it. Maybe its a good advent calendar article anyone think it would be
good?

Thanks,
Ali Mesdaq (CISSP, GIAC-GREM)
Security Researcher II