[Catalyst] Http Status Chart

Andrew Rodland arodland at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 04:47:24 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 10:52:55 pm Evan Carroll wrote:
> On 3/11/08, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
> > This made it's way across reddit this morning... Nice chart.
>
> I always preferred digg with its posts of thought provoking cats and
> top ten teenage racks. With that said what is the diff between
> unauthorized and forbidden.

The way I figure it, it should say "unauthenticated" except that that's not
the word that the HTTP standard uses. Anyway, you get a 401 if the server
doesn't know who you are, and it thinks that if you were the right person you
might be able to perform that action. You get a 403 if you're not allowed to
do that despite who you may or may not be.

Andrew