[Catalyst] Chart::Graph::Gnuplot trouble.

Bruce J Keeler bruce at drangle.com
Thu Mar 20 17:00:17 GMT 2008

Gene Selkov wrote:

> But I would also like a competent answer to this question: what can be
> done to make the "normal" Catalyst code interact with unix processes
> on all 3 channels? I mean, all 3: if a process spews something on
> stderr, I'd like to capture that, consider how severe the message is
> (unless it tells me in the status code) and possibly throw an
> exception and ultimately forward the message to the browser.

If system() is broke, there are other alternatives.  Check out
IPC::Open3, and perldoc perlipc.  You'll need to block SIGPIPE, and deal
with reaping the zombie properly after the process exits.  The Perl
cookbook may have some good info too.  If you really want to understand
the ins and outs of UNIX programming, read the Richard Stevens books.

Bruce