[Catalyst] Catalyst controllers - can they be created without catalyst.pl helper script?

Devin Austin devin.austin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:46:36 GMT 2008

(Pardon the lack of quoting, GMail is flaking out on me)

Re: attributes
Aha. I think that's where I went wrong.

Re: test stubs
Agreed, however in a situation when I'm on my laptop (most of the day while
I'm away from my room with my "real" computer) and I don't want to put
myself through the pain of installing perl and Catalyst on Windows, I'd like
to be able to create new controllers if need be so I don't have to limit
development to my location.

Anyway, thanks for the response.  Much easier than trying to grok the murky
depths that the Catalyst code appears as to me :-)

-Devin
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Ashley <apv at sedition.com> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Devin Austin wrote:
>
> I was playing around the other day when I tried to create a simple
> controller with out using the Catalyst.pl helper script.  It wasn't loaded
> when I restarted my devel server, so I figured that there must be a dispa=
tch
> table somewhere storing the names of the Controller files, and that table=
 is
> edited by the helper script.
>
> Is this correct? Or is there some other method used to create controllers?
> Also, does one *have* to use the helper script to create
> controllers/models/views?
>

> There's no dispatch table outside of the Controller tree. You don't have
> to use the helpers at all but you do have to include an attribute
> declaration for actions to be found. Making a controller of Foo.pm with an
> action of bar-
>
> This won't be found-
> sub bar {}
>
> This will be (at /foo/bar)-
> sub bar : Local {}
>
> You also don't need to manually restart the dev server if you launch it
> with the -r flag. It will pick-up changes in your tree and restart for yo=
u.

> One of the main advantages, to me, of the helpers is that they stub tests
> for you.
>
> -Ashley

> Searchable archive:

-- =

Devin Austin
Founder and Head Developer of CodedRight.net
http://www.codedright.net - get your web app Coded Right
http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?326568/hosting.html - Host with DreamHost!