[Catalyst] Re: Patch for Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode::Encoding

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sat Mar 22 05:48:19 GMT 2008

* On Thu, Mar 20 2008, Peter Karman wrote:
>> Perhaps the best approach would be to warn and not decode when
>> flagged data is seen, that way the data should never be deformed and
>> the author can see that something else is decoding too early and
>> they can fix it.
>
> I like this proposal. Doesn't break backwards compat and gives user
> something to chew on.
>
> Jon, what do you think?

The need to check if something is already decoded hints at the existence
of other bugs.  Encoding/decoding really boils down to knowing *for
sure* what data you already have.  If we don't know what data we have,
we can't safely decode it.

Is anyone having a problem with decoding things that are already
decoded?  Or is this only a theoretical problem?

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway