[Catalyst] Meios

Mojo Nichols mnichols at mojosoft.org
Mon Mar 31 02:17:54 BST 2008

I don't understand what you mean by full-featured dynamic admin
interface for catalyst.  You mention that it does not store images in
database, so this has me confused do you mean a full-featured dynamic
image gallery plugin (similar functionality as Meios)?

As for not storing images in the db because of high-loaded sites, I
would not think that storing in a DB would not create that much overhead
and that there maybe some advantages with clusters, clustered db's,
replication and caching etc. In the case of very large sets of images in
one album I see an advantage over a file based solution as the name can
be indexed.

At any rate I have the adding/retrevial of images  from db working.  It
is quite nice as it greatly simplifies the retrieving of files formats
$preview=$rs->first->preview; so to view the preview of the image:
http://localhost:3000/adminstration/photo/preview/filename.jpg

sub preview : Local {
 my ($self, $c, $filename) = @_;
 my $photo;
 $filename ||= $c->req->param('filename');
 if ($photo = $c->model('MeiosDB::Photos')->search({filename =>
$filename})) {
   $c->response->content_type("image/jpeg");
   $c->response->body($photo->first->preview);
 }
}

At this point I'm tempted to just start using and not finish the work on
Meios;-), but I will plug away tonight and see if I can get Meios tested
and working using this new design at which point I will start using it.

Thanks,

Mojo