[Catalyst] Dispatching with Chained vs HTTP method

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu May 1 07:41:26 BST 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Toby Corkindale <tjc at wintrmute.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:24:36AM +0200, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>  > Hi Toby,
>  >
>  > I don't know if you are aware - but building a REST-like CRUD
>  > interface to DBIx::Schema is my long term goal (started with
>  > Catalyst::Example::InstantCRUD).  Do you think we could collaborate?
>
>  Sure, if you liked.
>
>  I'm not sure I want to aim for total DBIx::Class:Schema emulation, as I think
>  there are many corner cases which could start getting hard to implement /well/.
>
>  I'd rather approach creating something which does a sub-set of the features,
>  but does them well. For instance, how would you handle transactions? Or

My understanding is that you can nest transactions in DBIC - so my
plan is just add a transaction wherever I think it is needed.

>  specifying complex searches with aggregate clauses and self-joins? Those would
>  seem to be more suited to an RPC protocol rather than an object-based REST
>  situation. I think?

I admit that my main goal is mostly a kind of browser-REST (but with
the option for 'real' REST) - so I start with HTML forms (for now I
discovered Rose::HTML::Form - and I like it) that would define the
available searches.  I guess this might look restricting for you.  By
the way have you seen my Advent article:
http://catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2007/16 ?

>  The system I have so far works quite well for find and search, and I have a
>  client library which re-vivifies stuff back into Perl DBIC-like objects..
>  So in theory you can have an application which can operate upon a local
>  database, OR a remote database, transparently. (As long as it only uses the
>  simpler DBIC methods)

Great!  This looks like rather outside of the scope of my work - but
if we manage to do it in some unified fashion so that people could mix
those things - this would be great.

Zbyszek
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/