[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun May 4 14:39:12 BST 2008

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 03:15:38PM -0700, Chris Weyl wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:34:57AM -0500, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> >  > * On Tue, Apr 29 2008, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >  [...]
> >  >> able to write a Unix application.
> >  > It will help, yes.
> >
> >  It may well help, but it is not necessarily the best approach. The source
> >  code to a library is too low-level for a user of the library to really get a
> >  grip on how all the pieces fit together and are intended to be used.
>
> Perhaps oddly, with Perl I've often found reading the _tests_ to be
> more helpful than wading through the source of a library, particularly
> if it builds on top of other code.  (Of course, this presupposes a
> good test suite, but...)

What forced DBIx::Class to go from a resarch project to a production
project was users replacing Class::DBI with it on the basis of almost no
docs and a good read of the test suite.

Then again, I originally learned Catalyst by reading the source; took me
about 8 hours. The only thing that confused me was the dispatcher, which is