[Catalyst] Re: RFC: Catalyst::Controller::REST::DBIC

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon May 5 10:29:14 BST 2008

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-05-04 16:25]:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 09:10:56AM +0200, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> > * luke saunders <luke.saunders at gmail.com> [2008-05-04 02:50]:
> > > Also it doesn't distinguish between POST, PUT, DELETE and
> > > GET HTTP requests favouring instead entirely separate
> > > endpoints, but that's up for discussion.
> >
> > Putting the verb in the URI is RPC, not REST. This is not a
> > matter of discussion.
>
> No, but how you provide an alternative to full RESTness for
> clients that don't handle the full range of HTTP verbs -is- a
> matter for discussion.
>
> Or at least a matter for determining an architecture that
> allows you to use whatever alternative you like.
>
> Please don't let your obsessive REST advocacy blind you to
> pragmatic software development issues; it's starting to get
> boring.

You are reading things into my post that aren’t there. I made a
statement of fact about what REST is; there was no advocacy
either way in it.

Still, since you mention pragmatism, let me point out that I do
not consider purely RESTful design an an ivory-tower pursuit; it
has practical benefits, and if you understand what REST is and
don’t dismiss the idea of complying with it out of hand, it’s not
hard to come up with workarounds for limited clients, such as the
excellent Catalyst::Request::REST::ForBrowsers.

I have been thinking about changes I’d like to propose to
Catalyst::Action::REST to make it less verbose in some
circumstances, and I have some half-baked ideas regarding
emulation of HTTP Auth using cookies. When I’m done I want to tie
all this together by way of a controller base class. If anyone is
thinking along the same lines, I shall be happy to talk in
private, but before I run my mouth off too much in public I want
to have code to show.

None of this, btw, is specific to a CRUD interface, but could be
a great foundation to build one with.

Regards,