[Catalyst] Re: RFC: Catalyst::Controller::REST::DBIC

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri May 16 11:06:25 BST 2008

* Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> [2008-05-16 06:25]:
> Hmm - frankly I have never thought out REST entirely - but I
> have the feeling that it is always better to be cautious (and
> you know - be liberal in what you receive).

It’s like Turing completeness: you can do everything RESTfully
that you can do in any other way, you just have to model the
problem in a way that fits the constraints. REST doesn’t restrict
what you can achieve at all, it just imposes some requirements on
how you go about it.

> Some ideas top of my head:
>
> - a login method (the advantage would be that it does not need to redirect)

I’m not sure I follow. You mean you want to have something like
`/api/rest/cd/login`? And how do you avoid redirecting from that
if you have `login` in the URI, which isn’t where the client
needs to be looking at?

> - a search

I tend to prefer expressing searches with query parameters… hm.

> - exposing some class data (as opposed to instance data) and
> maybe class methods?

Example? I can’t quite imagine what you would want to do here.

Regards,