[Catalyst] Catalyst, MVCs and other MVCs

peter at dragonstaff.com peter at dragonstaff.com
Tue Nov 4 21:07:00 GMT 2008

Quoting "J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:
>> * On Mon, Nov 03 2008, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
>>> I know that Catalyst is about dispatch more than about CRUD, but I'd love
>>> pointers to a tutorial about how to get a basic system with
>>> working CRUD up and
>>> working within minutes.
>>
> The value is in "marketing".  Showing what is possible in comparison
> to other frameworks, which tend to show CRUD applications has value in
> establishing convention.

Hi Jacinta,
try looking at CatalystX::ListFramework::Builder
http://search.cpan.org/dist/CatalystX-ListFramework-Builder/
which gives you an automatic ExtJS Javascript CRUD interface from an
existing database using Catalyst.
It's pretty neat and Oliver is giving a talk on it soon at the London
Perl Workshop.

It arose from CatalystX::ListFramework
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?CatalystX::ListFramework
which we've used for real world extranets using ExtJS that need to
degrade gracefully for older browsers.

To answer your earlier questions, and this is just my personal view:
Gantry doesn't seem to have a lot of on-going development effort
behind it, the structure is alright though.
Jifty is fine for smaller apps. It gets difficult if you want to do
something different from its standard way of templating and active
record db access.
CGI::Application is great for small, fast performing apps. I found it
easy to understand.
Catalyst is good for larger architectural solutions that require
flexibility and power. This comes at the expense of some speed and
complexity for developers. It has the bonus of many plugins that solve
so many problems out of the box. (E.g. you're talking 13 lines of code
for a JSON server. Sweet!)

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk