[Catalyst] Plugin::Authentication vs Authentiaction

John Romkey romkey at apocalypse.org
Mon Nov 10 14:33:07 GMT 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> That's not enough. Apparently, Plugin::Authentication is different
> from Authentication, and slightly not compartible.

Alex,

The Authentication modules underwent a significant overhaul a while
back. In the old scheme, there were many authentication plugins. In
the new scheme, the only plugin is Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication

There are a few Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication modules that provide
some backwards compatibility but I believe that at this point,
Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::* is deprecated, and the older
Plugins likely won't work with the new scheme. So if you have the
choice between Catalyst::Authentication::something and
Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication::something, use the former and not
the later.

In the new scheme, the storage and credential modules are brought in
through the configuration of Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication - take a
look at its documentation to see how this is done. They don't appear
in the plugin list at all, only Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication does

Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication's documentation gives a good overview
of how to use it and what to pay attention to and what to ignore:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Plugin-Authentication/lib/Catalyst/Plugin/Authentication.pm

There's no reason that Catalyst would load
Catalyst::Authentication::Credential::Authen::Simple automatically -
only some users need it - and putting it in the plugin list won't help
because it's not a plugin. Its documentation shows how to configure
Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication to use it

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Authentication-Credential-Authen-Simple/lib/Catalyst/Authentication/Credential/Authen/Simple.pm

	- john romkey
	http://dot.romkey.com/