[Catalyst] Re: recommendation

Bernhard Graf catalyst3 at augensalat.de
Sun Nov 16 10:44:23 GMT 2008

Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Aha, so actually you are saying that the DBIC::Schema Catalyst helper
> doesn't create a complete and valid schema, and I must edit it
> manually.

That's my way ATM:

1. Data definition for MySQL in plain ASCII (because I'm used to it)
2. use the DBIC::Schema Catalyst helper to build the schema classes
3. overhaul the created schemas
4. write a tiny deploy script:

use FindBin;
use lib "$FindBin::Bin/../lib";

use MyApp::Schema;
use MyApp::Util::Script qw(load_config);

my $config = load_config;
my $schema = Coreg::DB->connect(@{$config->{'Model::DB'}->{connect_info}})
    or die "unable to connect\n";

# deploy directly
$schema->deploy;

# or if you want it as DDL:
my $sqldir = "$FindBin::Bin/../sql/";
$schema->create_ddl_dir(['MySQL', 'SQLite', 'PostgreSQL'], '0.1', $sqldir);

> But if I'll edit it manually, I would break the checksum.
>
> I must say that I don't understand what is that checksum used for if
> the recommended way is to use the Catalyst helper only once for
> creating the DBIC schema, then alter the database from it.

The question is: "Recommended by whom?" TIMTOWTDI as always.

--
Bernhard Graf