[Catalyst] Making subrequests in views

Alexander Tamm alex at frantic.com
Mon Nov 24 20:20:37 GMT 2008

Andrew Rodland wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2008 03:29:11 am Alexander Tamm wrote:

>> 1) I could always populate the stash in auto() and call the
>> corresponding Mason component when needed. This means fetching some data
>> even if it isn't needed.

> This version, except that instead of doing it in auto, you do it in end or in
> an ActionClass, only when you know you're going to need it (that is, you're
> actually sending back a page that includes the menu, and not a redirect or a
> downloadable file or whatever else).

Do you have a rationale behind this suggestion? I'm not very keen on
this one, since a change in the presentation logic can require a change
in the controller. Since the two aren't necessarily maintained by the
same person, the solution is suboptimal. Nor am I keen on maintaining
some sort of "list of pages containing a navi portion".

Alex