[Catalyst] OT: Use the CPAN, Luke?

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Nov 27 03:18:36 GMT 2008

Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Toby Corkindale <toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au> [2008-11-27 01:55]:
>> The problem is the dependency Mouse (0.11) fails its unit tests
>> there.
>
> That’s really the sole solid argument against a flamboyant
> use-the-CPAN attitude: you end up pulling in heaps of bloat
> because none of the stuff was written to form a coherent whole:
> every author uses their own favourite way of doing some common
> thing so you get four different OO frameworks of varying heft,
> two different YAML modules, every JSON module there is, etc.,
> all loaded into the same perl process. What a waste.
>
> Case in point, Mouse is essentially Moose Light. Since Catalyst
> itself is becoming Moose-based, is there *any* reason to use
> Mouse instead? I suppose if it automatically stubs itself into
> a Moose loader where Moose is available, that would be not *too*
> bad, but it’s still a pointlessly added dependency.

According to the Mouse docs, Mouse supports the most commonly used
features of Moose, but runs in 25% of the time.
I'm happy if the Catalyst crowd has decided to use a
performance-optimised version of a module, but it seems like Mouse has
had less testing exposure to "production" systems. (ie. The ancient
Perl/CPAN modules running on debian, rhel, etc)
(I note that Moose itself passes tests on Debian stable)

Toby

--
Strategic Data Pty Ltd
Ph: 03 9340 9000