[Catalyst] PDF creation in Catalyst?

Cosimo Streppone cosimo at streppone.it
Wed Oct 22 21:10:41 BST 2008

In data 22 ottobre 2008 alle ore 20:08:45, Kirby Krueger
<kirbykr at u.washington.edu> ha scritto:

> PDF::ReportWriter.

Some time ago I did an evaluation of all different PDF creation
Perl modules, to build our own internal solution, and I chose this one.

Then I worked with the original author to extend it with
some interesting (for me at least) features,
like the (easy and quick) xml reports definition,
and the page templating.

With page templating you can create your own template page
in PDF with a tool of your choice, and then let PDF::ReportWriter
render the report data on top of it.

This seems pretty much what you need.

> This looks like it's maintained

Yes.

> under active development

Yes.

> and has excellent documentation

Mmh... I contributed to the docs as well, but I wouldn't say
they are excellent. In particular, the xml format needs to be documented
better, and all the groups/headers mechanism maybe needs a better
explanation.

> Anyone heard of this?

Try it. At least take a look at the examples and the
pdf-template option (in the docs):

http://search.cpan.org/src/DKASAK/PDF-ReportWriter-1.5/examples/

> It's not mentioned in the usual places like perlmonks.  And the design
> really forces you to learn more about PDF than I ideally want to.

I'm not sure.

--
Cosimo