[Catalyst] PDF creation in Catalyst?

Nathaniel Green ngreen at ideaworks.com
Wed Oct 22 23:49:26 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 08:46:25PM +0100, Oliver Gorwits wrote:
>>
>> Kirby Krueger wrote:
>> > And in case you want PNG or PDF output, you'll need just a few
>> > lines...
>>
>> We have a system doing PDF on the fly from Template::Toolkit, but
>> you have to go via LaTeX - it's not so bad, do not be put off!
>>
>>    http://www.catalystframework.org/calendar/2006/12
>
> Was the hack required in that Advent entry, necessitated by a
> bug in the standalone server, ever fixed? If so, perhaps we
> should re-edit this entry to remove that entire section. Right
> now it's the sort of thing a lot of people would look at and
> then run away from....
>
> Jesse Sheidlower

We used that entry as guidance to do PDF generation via LaTeX. Instead
of hacking at system, we patched Catalyst::Engine::HTTP (see
attachment). It has worked for us for awhile now.

For what it's worth, LaTeX worked out really well for us. It gives you
the control/expressiveness it sounds like the OP needs, without having
to learn the guts of PDF generation.

Regards,

Nate Green
sagrader.com