[Catalyst] Re: PDF creation in Catalyst?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Oct 23 05:03:37 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:50:25PM +0200, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> Yes, PrinceXML <http://www.princexml.com/> costs $$$, *however*,
> it renders HTML to PDF verbatim instead of requiring you to use
> completely different stuff like FOP or LaTeX – which is an
> especially big selling point if you’re looking to generate PDF
> from a CMS-ish thing where users can enter HTML content. It also
> supports pretty much all print-related CSS stuff, which includes
> control over line breaks and the like, and also provides
> proprietary CSS extensions to do things like page headers and
> footers, page numbering, and so on. For us, the effort we avoided
> of having to write PDF-specific code (the above lines are
> literally the only PDF-related code in the app) and then maintain
> it over more than made up for the price tag.

If your needs are simple, I've used this for invoices and simple
documents:

    http://www.htmldoc.org/

But, css support doesn't exist -- but if you remember your creative
days with tables you can do some fun things.

I'm starting to reconsider what exactly needs to be in PDF.  I've had
a number of PDFs for various documents that probably could have been
just as useful as HTML (with print style sheets).

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt