[Catalyst] ANNOUNCE: SimpleDB - Auth configuration made easy

Jason Kuri jayk at ion0.com
Tue Oct 28 00:13:41 GMT 2008

I made the default 'clear', as the tutorial uses 'clear' and it is the
least likely to cause failure of auth for those just coming to
catalyst / going through the tutorials.  The password_type config
option allows changing it to something more reasonable for production
use.

Matt and I discussed and he made the point that this module will
probably get a lot of production use and it's default should probably
at least attempt to prevent newbies from making bad design choices...
or at least make it a bit more difficult.   I must agree.

As such, an updated module is on it's way to CPAN - which uses
'crypted' as the default.  The documentation has been adjusted to
reflect this.   You can still use a password_type of 'clear' by
setting it explicitly, but you _will_ get warned in your logs that it
is an insecure password storage mechanism.

Jay