[Catalyst] how do i "truss" an catalyst FCGI worker process?

Vladimir Timofeev vovkasm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:12:35 GMT 2008

Hi

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 14:50, Oleg Pronin <syber.rus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I need to inspect my fcgi process, so i tried to do
> truss -p <fcgi_worker_pid>
> But fcgi process immediately exits when "truss" just starts.
>
> Does anyone know why does it happen and how to get it to work?

According to ptrace(2) used by truss:

  For the duration of the tracing session, the traced process will be
  ``re-parented'', with its parent process ID (and resulting behavior)
  changed to the tracing process.

And child exit after processing first request, because it's thinking
that manager die
(see FCGI::ProcManager pm_post_dispatch sub).

May be, for only debugging reason, you can temprorary off this check?

> Please anybody, try to do
> truss -p <fcgi_worker_pid>
> on standalone (not in apache) fcgi catalyst server.

Of course this work ;-)