[Catalyst] Perl Catalyst : lexical error not displayed

Josef Chladek josef.chladek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 19:07:34 BST 2008

Am 08.09.2008 um 16:24 schrieb tirveni yadav:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing some issues in catalyst since  upgrade to perl 5.10 from
> 5.8 in Debian 4.1 .
>
> Item 1)
>      I am finding it hard to locate errors because of this :
>        When a variable is not declared lexically:
>        my  $title =  "Temp" ; #works fine whereas
>        $title = "Temp" ; #Unknown Error
>
>        These Messages are Displayed with different options for the
> error above :
> i)
>  Running 'script/testapp_server.pl' with results in this error ::
>
> Unknown error
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Utils.pm
> line 270.
> Compilation failed in require at script/testapp_server.pl line 55.

you have to patch and compile perl 5.10 yourself, the patch is
described here

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.changes/2008/02/msg21106.html

download perl5.10 (http://www.cpan.org/src/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz),
before ./Configure patch file toke.c (toplevel) line 692

#else
     parser->nexttoke = 0;
#endif
+    parser->error_count = oparser ? oparser->error_count : 0;
     parser->copline = NOLINE;
     parser->lex_state = LEX_NORMAL;
     parser->expect = XSTATE;

that's it, ./Confiure;make . I don't know if there's a deb-file of a
patched perl around...

josef