[Catalyst] tips for troubleshooting/QAing Unicode (was Re: Passing UTF-8 arg in URL to DBIC search)

Lee Aylward lee at laylward.com
Mon Sep 29 02:41:09 BST 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 03:39:03PM -0700, Darren Duncan wrote:
> Maybe you're already aware of this, but I've found from experience that
> troubleshooting encoding/Unicode problems in a web/db app can be
> difficult, especially with multiple conversions at different stages, but
> I've come up with a short generic algorithm to help test/ensure that
> things are working and where things need fixing.  Note that these details
> assuming we're using Perl 5.8+.
>
> ... lots of good tips...

Great timing on this as I am currently struggling with some unicode text
not displaying correctly in an application I am working on. Per your
suggestion I put the Japanese text at the top of my template. All of a
sudden the browsers started displaying that and other non-ascii characters
correctly. The second I take away the Japanese text it goes back to just
showing question marks. I am seeing this behavior in both the test
server and Apache.

I have looked at the Content-Type header and it is definitely serving it
as utf-8, so I am at abit of a loss. There are no databases involved
here, but I am displaying information from IMDB::Film. Is there anything
in the actual HTML that needs to be set?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
--
Lee Aylward