[Catalyst] Re: fcgid

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 30 01:14:47 BST 2008

* John Lee <jlee+catalyst at pangeamedia.com> [2008-09-29 16:05]:
> What's the general concensus in the catalyst community
> nowadays? Is mod_fastcgi preferred at large over mod_fcgid
> these days?

Personally? ::Engine::HTTP::Prefork + ::Plugin::Static::Simple.
Then I put a reverse proxy in front (it doesn’t really matter,
I’ve used Apache mod_proxy and Varnish, pick whatever you like),
and teach that to cache the static files for a very, very long
time.

That way, the Catalyst server

a) is completely decoupled from its deployment environment
   (the two parts don’t even have to be on the same machine),

b) can therefore also be debugged standalone in production,

c) can be an exact replica of the server that runs on the
   developer’s machine.

(Although the last point is watered down a little by adding
a reverse proxy to the mix in production.)

Regards,