[Catalyst] Re: fcgid

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Tue Sep 30 10:49:30 BST 2008

* Kaare Rasmussen <kaare at jasonic.dk> [2008-09-30 08:20]:
>> Personally? ::Engine::HTTP::Prefork +
>> ::Plugin::Static::Simple. Then I put a reverse proxy in front
>> (it doesn’t really matter, I’ve used Apache mod_proxy and
>> Varnish, pick whatever you like), and teach that to cache the
>> static files for a very, very long time.
>
> Do you have any performance data for this, compared to fastcgi
> and modperl?

Nothing scientific. For me the major attraction is that it’s a
boatload easier to administrate and debug, since I’m doing the
entire devel/QA/sysadmin cycle mostly on my own, and my time is
limited. I’d throw a second machine at it much sooner than I’d
switch to a more complicated solution.

All that said, however, I simply haven’t had to investigate its
performance, as it’s proven plenty fast for our modest needs.

I can’t imagine off hand any reason for it to be significantly
slower than a FastCGI deployment – conceptually it’s the same
setup, with a standard webserver like Apache facing outward and
a separate set of Catalyst processes running in the backstage.
The main difference (and it makes a world of difference) is the
wire protocol used in the connection between those parts.

So this is all just anecdotal so far, but it worked perfectly for
me. If you think it might work for you, just give it a try – it
takes very little work to do so! I came up with this setup almost
by accident, in fact.

Regards,