[Catalyst] How to detect if the current form request is a post?

kakimoto at tpg.com.au kakimoto at tpg.com.au
Wed Apr 1 22:13:41 BST 2009

Quoting Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com>:

> From: <kakimoto at tpg.com.au>
> > --> So, tell me, would you like to allow people to bookmark
> transaction
> > ID numbers or attributes which are not permanent (ie will last
> until a
> > transaction is done)?
>
> Yes. If the users want to do that, it is very good to let them do it,
> and
> the next time when they'll come, they will see that they can't access
> that
> page without re-logging again, and we might also get the original URI
> that
> was requested, and after they log in, they could be forwarded to the
> wanted
> URL.
>
> > Fact is, guidelines are there for best practices but rules are
> meant to
> > be bent when we encounter different problems/scenarios. Another
> factor
> > is the business rules. If they business doesn't want its
> subscribers
> > (for what ever business acumen/reason or perhaps to discount
> future
> > maintenance of having to put in redirects when they decommission
> or
> > rename certain URIs) to have a bookmark for them  to achieve
> certain
> > things (ie. look at their electricity bills), then POST would be
> the
> > better pick.
> > Also, when POST is used , the URL on the url address bar of the
> browser
> > remains clean without the extra params.
>
> Why does this matter? Don't allow the user to bookmark a page because
> the
> URL that will be accessed doesn't look nice?

--> No. It's for usability and that's somethign that a lot of good
programmers do not have yet and should start paying more attention to. I
am reinventing myself by putting in points of usability.

 Having a  url that's clean brings it closer to keeping it all simple.

That's me. Do it however way you want but i have learnt enough lessons
along the way to justify what I think is good for production.

> > Again, that's just my opinion and how I observed different
> > organisations do things. No right or wrong - just common sense.
>
> That common sense is bad sense, and this is the main reason I put
> that
> question.

That common sense of not being flexible to situations/scenarios where
requirements differ?
Bravo.
I'll halt from' investing more time on this thread.

Cheers.