[Catalyst] Custom changes to different instances of the same app

Dylan Martin dmartin at sccd.ctc.edu
Thu Apr 2 21:17:16 GMT 2009

I'm doing something similar right now, and after a few days of
juggling, I've determined that it's best to have one real version of
your app and make it behave differently in the different environments.
 IE, make it detect for itself where it is and change it's behavior
accordingly.  Put things into the config file.  I just now discoverd
that you can have a MyApp_local.conf file which overrides settings in
MyApp.conf.  I've set up my Makefile to install MyApp.conf.ENV1 as
MyApp_local.conf if I'm in environment 1.  You should be able to go to
any one of your client, delete your app, take your one-true-app and
run "make install" and have the working app back again.

The major upshot is that you don't have to worry about conflicting
versions, backporting etc...  You won't go crazy because you can't
remember if you made that change here or there.  etc...

That's just my $0.02.  Your situation may be different from mine.  etc.. etc..

-Dylan