[Catalyst] Catalyst::Engine::HTTP::Prefork not used? (solved)

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Tue Apr 14 12:48:14 GMT 2009

J. Shirley schrieb:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Neo [GC] <neo at gothic-chat.de
> <mailto:neo at gothic-chat.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I've read about the prefork-engine for the test-server in another
>     thread, which could be very useful for me (our outsourced
>     codemonkeys sometimes produce VERY SLOW controllers and together
>     with multiple ajax-request, this means waiting ;)).
>
>     About usage I found only this:
>
>     $ cpan Catalyst:Engine::HTTP::Prefork
>     $ CATALYST_ENGINE='HTTP::Prefork' script/myapp_server.pl
>
>     Amazingly, this doesn't change anything at all with my app, after
>     starting there are still only two processes (some kind of
>     supervisor I think and the real server process) and the requests
>     are served one-by-one. Even more confusing, if I set
>     CATALYST_ENGINE to 'Whatever', I get no error message or something.
>
>     Is there required more to use it, besides installing the module
>     from CPAN?
>

>     Thanks and regards,
>     Neo [GC]
>

> Hi Neo,
>
> Are you running a really old version of Catalyst::Devel?
>
> If you specify the -r option to myapp_server.pl that was generated
> with a (oh, 2 years?) very old version of Catalyst::Devel it will not
> work right.
>
> This option clobbers your engine and sets the engine to
> 'HTTP::Restart'.  Take a look at your script/myapp_server.pl and find
> the section for checking $restart
>
> The proper lines should be:
>
> if ( $restart && $ENV{CATALYST_ENGINE} eq 'HTTP' ) {
>     $ENV{CATALYST_ENGINE} = 'HTTP::Restarter';
> }
>
> It used to omit the test for CATALYST_ENGINE, and ... well, that's not
> right :)
>
> Otherwise, it should definitely throw an error for an invalid engine
> being specified:
>
>  $ CATALYST_ENGINE='Yourmom' perl script/myapp_server.pl
>  Can't locate Catalyst/Engine/Yourmom.pm in @INC
>
> -J
Ha! Thank you very much, this was exactly the problem!

Our startup-scripts indeed seem to be abount two years old. I remember
seeing a warning about old scripts once, but haven't seen them in a
while and thought one of my colleagues fixed it.

If I may ask a following question.... how to rebuild the scripts? >_< I
can't reproduce the old warning and either I'm too stupid to use Google
or the howto is hidden somewhere in subspace...

Thanks and regards,
Neo [GC]