[Catalyst] how to reuse Catalyst Schema for non-web purposes?

Simon Wilcox simonw at digitalcraftsmen.net
Thu Apr 23 09:04:14 GMT 2009

On 23/4/09 03:59, kakimoto at tpg.com.au wrote:
>>From the Catalyst tutes, I seem to get the impression that pretty much a
> lot of the business logic is done in the controller.

Yes, because it's a Catalyst tutorial not a tutorial for whatever model
provider you choose to use.

You *can* put your logic in the controller and if all you will ever
build is a single web app that doesn't need to talk to anything else
then that's fine.

The general experience is that, in the long term, making the web app a
simple layer over a standalone model is more flexible, easier to extend
and easier to test.

But it's up to you, I suggest reading more widely around the concepts
behind MVC and do whatever works best for you. As Kieren says, you'll
learn by experience :-)

Best of luck.

Simon.