[Catalyst] RFC: Sample press release and announcement homepage

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Apr 24 17:36:29 GMT 2009

* On Thu, Apr 23 2009, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> I really want to agree but then I read some of the crazy hype coming
> out of pretty much every other system and I ask myself if our modesty
> hurts us?  I mean I'd rather go to the mat and try to argue Moose is
> the best thing ever and stir some controversy than to keep being
> ignored as we have been.

+1 here.  It's sad to say, but I think modesty is killing the Perl
community.  Members of the other language communities like to hype up
things that aren't even true ("PHP is the fastest language"), and then
people believe them and make decisions based on the hype.  Arguably
these people are morons that would step off a cliff if a blog told them
they could levitate, but I don't see any harm in steering them in the
right direction.  Moose *is* the best object system in any language.
Catalyst is one of the best web frameworks for building complex
applications.  If we tell people that, perhaps they will have a look.

If we hem and haw around the issue, "oh it's kind of nice", then they
will just use PHP instead, and that doesn't help *anyone*.

(One thing that might make things complicated here is that Moose and
Catalyst are most useful for experienced developers.  There is nothing
shiny that encourages one to get started with them.  I think this is a
good thing, since all the shininess of Ruby and Rails makes it really
hard to actually do something useful ... however, most people don't want
to do something useful, since that would involve actual work.)

Anyway, enough amateur psychoanalysis from me.  Advocate what you
believe in, and let other people decide for themselves.

> Any other thoughts or feelings?  My first version of this was even
> more strongly worked, but I toned it down a bit.  Still, I figured at
> least one person would call me out on one or two bits.  I'll mellow it
> out if people think I should.

Like I said, no need to tone it down.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway