[Catalyst] unexpected behavior of $c->request->secure and $c->request->base

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Apr 27 11:22:17 GMT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:13:16AM -0700, seasprocket at gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, it all makes sense ... now. Still, I think that when something as
> fundamental as $c->request->base is fragile, it calls for some thought.
> Perhaps a config variable that lets you set your SSL port? My guess is that
> the average cat user does not realize that req->secure and req->base may be
> unreliable.

I'm not sure "unreliable" is the right word. "Determined by heuristics" is
probably more accurate.

I think either (a) we need more documentation explaining exactly how it
makes its best guess so that it's more obvious to the people the guess is
wrong for what's happening, or (b) we need (a) and some better guessing.
Let's keep discussing how it could/should have guessed for your setup to
find out which :)

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue:
   Technical Director        http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/