[Catalyst] The Netiquette thread (OT)

Ian Wells ijw at cack.org.uk
Tue Apr 28 08:59:56 GMT 2009

People:

Top posting is bad.

Bottom posting is bad.

When quoting a previous message:

- Remove as much of the original message as you can.  (And if the
message you send still has the mailing list footer quoted within it,
you're clearly not trying.)
- Put replies to points in the message *underneath* the element of the
original message that they relate to.

These are the basics of old-fashioned usenet netiquette, of which
there are more comprehensive guides elsewhere.  But if you take in
these two points, all our current problems will end.

This mailing list is for helping people.

If you want to be helped, you'll get more sympathy from the people
with the knowledge you need if you follow these guidelines.

If you are offering help, I assume you want to aid the community, and
driving people away from the mailing list with petty annoyances is not
going to achieve that.

Thanks,
--
Ian.