[Catalyst] The Netiquette thread (OT)

Simon Wilcox simonw at digitalcraftsmen.net
Tue Apr 28 09:46:40 GMT 2009

On 28/4/09 09:59, Ian Wells wrote:
> Top posting is bad.
>
> Bottom posting is bad.

Actually, it's mostly the inconsistency that's bad. I'm on several lists
that work just fine with top posting.

> These are the basics of old-fashioned usenet netiquette, of which
> there are more comprehensive guides elsewhere.  But if you take in
> these two points, all our current problems will end.

People coming to open source and email lists from a corporate
environment will not be familiar with this, we ought to take more time
to educate people on the whys of using the usenet style. It really isn't
at all obvious to people used to corporate email.

> If you want to be helped, you'll get more sympathy from the people
> with the knowledge you need if you follow these guidelines.

Agreed !

> If you are offering help, I assume you want to aid the community, and
> driving people away from the mailing list with petty annoyances is not
> going to achieve that.

Most certainly true. Be liberal in what you accept and strict in what
you send. Or as my dear old mother used to say "if you can't think of
anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" :-)

S.