[Catalyst] Migrating mod_perl app to Catalyst

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Apr 28 19:58:28 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:54:12PM -0500, Michael Reddick wrote:
> Does anyone have any advice for migrating a large mod_perl app that has no
> tests to catalyst?
>
> I already know of Catalyst::Controller::WrapCGI which seems to be a good
> start.

Assuming your app doesn't use apache specific stuff.

What I tend to recommend in such cases is to start writing new functionality
in Catalyst as FastCGI and just map chunks of the URI space across to the
new stuff. When you need to significantly alter the old code, port it first.

Eventually you'll just have a Catalyst+FastCGI codebase, and you'll have had
working code at every stage.

--
      Matt S Trout       Catalyst and DBIx::Class consultancy with a clue:
   Technical Director        http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/