[Catalyst] Scalable Catalyst

Alejandro Imass alejandro.imass at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:20:22 GMT 2009

Hi all, just my $0.02 here

100 processes per second is not all that impressive for a Catalyst
app. I have tested Catalyst in mod_perl with mod_worker
(multi-threaded apache/perl), in Linux 2.6 and FreeBSD 6.4, 7.x

With mod_worker, you can spawn processes each with an X number of
threads each. Memory sharing in mod_worker/mod_perl is good and you
can play with the amount of requests each process can handle before it
is killed and restarted, this way you don't have to worry about leaky
modules/code.

In general, I have used relatively simple applications and others that
use FormBuilder, and even some XS modules from Catalyst such as
XML::LibXML, and in general the leaking is pretty decent, but againg
not to worry (see above). Compiling Apache and mod_perl for threads is
not that hard, and there are many variables you can play with in the
Apache conf.

Anyway, the message is that with mod_worker/mod_perl you can spawn
_thousands_ of threads, getting impressive concurrency (without
counting the mutex). We have tested Catalyst applications that handle
_thousands_ of concurrent requests using off the shelf AMD 64Bit HW
and 12Gb RAM, with a Catalyst app of about 20MB RSS.

Best,
Alejandro Imass