[Catalyst] Loading template according to request path

Matt Whipple matt at mattwhipple.com
Tue Aug 11 17:15:03 GMT 2009

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Matt Whipple <matt at mattwhipple.com
> <mailto:matt at mattwhipple.com>> wrote:
>
>     J. Shirley wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Matt Whipple
>         <matt at mattwhipple.com <mailto:matt at mattwhipple.com>
>         <mailto:matt at mattwhipple.com <mailto:matt at mattwhipple.com>>>
>         wrote:
>
>            Is there a presently existing mechanism which flexibly
>         allows for
>            template selection according to the request URI?  For
>         instance a
>            request to www.myapp.com/somepage
>         <http://www.myapp.com/somepage> <http://www.myapp.com/somepage>
>
>            would set something like stash(template => 'somepage.tt
>         <http://somepage.tt>
>            <http://somepage.tt>') if the file exists and continue to be
>
>            processed by the appropriate or default action.
>
>            I wrote something which does this which I'm about to spend some
>            time cleaning up and optimizing but don't want to be
>         reinventing
>            any wheels (especially likely smoother ones).

>            Searchable archive:
>            http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/
>            Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm certainly gathering that there is
nothing preexisting that does what I'm looking to do.  I'll continue to
clean up my version and throw it on CPAN if it seems appealing enough.
As a quick overview the basic premise is a more direct link from the
path to the template which would be used for those times when the URI
path determines presentation after passing through a reusable action
handler which tailors content (and doesn't necessarily have to worry
about the template selection).  This is presently done in the auto
action so that overriding the behavior is natural and any extended logic
can be handled when and where desired.