[Catalyst] Restarting Catalyst on request or doing something per request

Matthias Dietrich mdietrich at cpan.org
Sun Aug 23 20:10:54 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm using the plugin C::P::I18N::DBI (which is from me) which loads
the texts from database once on application startup.

Now in my app I'm building an admin panel where one can edit the
texts.  After the admin finishes editing, he currently needs to
restart the whole apache to load the new texts into catalyst or has to
wait until the apache clients are killed after time (if running under
mod_perl).  This may be ok for develping but when running in
production with several other website on the same apache, this is not
a good idea.

I thought there may be a possibility to restart only the catalyst
application (like the built-in server does), but I don't think this is
possible with apache.  So the solution would be to set a "lexicon last
modified" date somewhere and update this every time the texts have
changed (which will not be often).  The app could then check at each
(or each N requests?) if the date has changed and reload the data.

Would this be a good scenario and where exactly could this checking be
done?

When running under mod_perl (what the production apps currently do),
the reloading has to be done for each client.  I don't know how
FastCGI is working with that, but I'm considering using FastCGI for
production.

Thanks,
   matt

--
rainboxx Matthias Dietrich
Freier Software Engineer

rainboxx                  |  Tel.: +49 (0) 151 / 50 60 78 64
Tölzer Str. 19            |  Mail: matt at rainboxx.de
70372 Stuttgart           |  WWW : http://www.rainboxx.de

XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Matthias_Dietrich18
GULP: http://www.gulp.de/profil/rainboxx.html