[Catalyst] Splitting up a large application: Shared config and templates for multiple applications

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Aug 28 14:08:32 GMT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Matt Whipple <matt at mattwhipple.com> wrote:

>> Anyone building applications out of multiple small Catalyst applications
>> like this?  How do you set up the apps to share templates and a config?
>>  Anything more interesting than passing in paths?
>> One downside of this approach is we end up with a handful of very similar
>> looking applications (same set of plugins, etc.), not to mention have to=
 be
>> careful about how session data is shared, and so on.  I wounder if it wo=
uld
>> be difficulst to customize the catalyst.pl script to include a standard =
set
>> of plugins/roles that we use in every application -- e.g. have a skeleton
>> app.
>>
>>  Subclass.  This could probably take care of sharing the template/config
> resources also, but otherwise I'd probably lean towards symlinking over
> modifying each app.

Subclass what?

I was thinking that I'd have to use an environment variable to point to the
location of the base application (the one with the base tempates and
app-wide config) and then add to the template INCLUDE_PATH.  Or maybe have
the applications look at $app_home/../$base_app/.

Seems there was some discussion not too long ago of drop-in modules for
application, similar to what many CMSs have.

-- =

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org