[Catalyst] Splitting up a large application: Shared config and templates for multiple applications

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Fri Aug 28 16:17:33 GMT 2009

fREW Schmidt wrote:
> Interestingly, I think the Rails guys (or was it Merb?) made something
> kindav like this.  Basically they made it so that you can drop a Rails
> app into an existing Rails app and things "just work."

That's the idea.

> I don't know
> enough about Rails to say how well it works and whatnot,

Totally doesn't for non-trivial examples ;)

> and I know that
> because Catalyst is much more flexible it is unlikely that we could do
> anything to make it as convenient, but maybe we could look into
> something like this?

With all the new technology now possible in 5.80, then this is totally
possible, and my CatalystX::SimpleLogin is a prototype for a 'component'
that you can just plug into applications.

This is mostly waiting on my pulling my finger out my ass and finishing
off the MethodAttributes in role combinations stuff, at which point
it'll be possible to build a simple way to bundle and inject sets of
roles/classes into your application via config, which, as you noted,
would go nicely with chained actions.

So this is being worked on, but I've been lazy for the last few weeks,
and had a fairly chain of yak-shaving associated with it to get where I
wanted to be to enable this to be possible in a flexible enough manor.

Cheers
t0m