[Catalyst] Catalyst::Plugin::Email not working

Meeko meeko.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 20:46:08 GMT 2009

Hi everyone.  I have been developing an app for quite some time on a local
machine here (OS X 10.4) which at various times throughout its life it needs
to send out e-mails.  I have been using Catalyst::Plugin::Email to send
those e-mails, using authenticated SMTP from an e-mail account I have with
Rackspace.  My configuration looks like this:

__PACKAGE__->config->{email} =3D [
    'SMTP',
    'my.smtp.server',
    username =3D> 'MyUsername',
    password =3D> 'MyPassword',
];

Then in my app, whenever I need to send an e-mail, I use:

    $c->email(
        header =3D> [
            From    =3D> '<me at mydomain.com> Me',
            To      =3D> 'email at recipient.com',
            Subject =3D> 'The Subject.',
        ],
        body =3D> "$body",
    );

It's been working great during development, I get all the e-mails when they
are supposed to be going out. The problem is that now that I am getting
close to finished, I have done a test deployment to my public web server
(CentOS 5.2), and now e-mails no longer get sent.  I have verified that
Catalyst::Plugin::Email is installed, and that I have the correct config
information.  Everything else about the app runs, and when it comes to a
place where an e-mail should go out, it gets by it with no problem, but yet
I never receive the e-mails.  Also, I am unable to find any error log entry
that might point me in the right direction.

So my question is, first of all, is there something blindingly obvious I
might be missing during deployment?  Is there anything else that needs to be
installed for Catalyst::Plugin::Email to work that I might not have
installed - but yet would not cause the app to fail at startup?  And
finally, where should I look for any clues as to what is going on (like
error logs, etc...)?

Thanks for any help!