[Catalyst] Re: Avoiding UTF8 in Catalyst

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Wed Dec 9 02:27:09 GMT 2009

On 8 Dec 2009, at 05:34, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I am very behind on email and
> wanted to comment :)

No problem. Your insight as to why things are they way they are is
useful :)

>> I was shocked to discover this! Any code that uses bytes::length
>> is automatically broken.
>
> FWIW, we did this so that people not using Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode
> but
> that had a Unicode string in memory would get something resembling the
> correct result.

When you said 'we did this', I looked at the blame history, and that
code had been there since at or before 5.50.

Did you mean 'it was done like this', 'it was explained to me to be
this way because', or 'we made a conscious decision to keep it this
way because'?

Sorry for the pedantry, but I just 'fixed' this, so I'd like to
clearly establish what grounds on which this may be considered a bad
move :)

Cheers
t0m