[Catalyst] How to join catalyst dev server?

Nuba Princigalli nuba.rp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:49:43 GMT 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Bernhard Graf wrote:
> Emmanuel Quevillon schrieb:
>> I am using Catalyst 5.8015 and when I start my dev server
>> (script/myap_server.pl) now I can only reach it through localhost:3000.
>
> script/myap_server.pl -h 1.2.3.4
> with 1.2.3.4 being the IP of foo.bar.com

Hello,

I understand by default it'll bind to 0.0.0.0, that means it'll listen on all
configured IPv4 interfaces in your box. You can confirm that with
"netstat -pan | grep 3000". On mine I get:

tcp   0   0 0.0.0.0:3000      0.0.0.0:*        LISTEN      29003/perl

You could be running on a firewall problem there. Check if a firewall is
running on the box, and if yes, try turning it off and connecting to
http://foo.bar.com:3000 again.  If it works then you'll have to adjust your
firewall rules accordingly, then turn it back on.

As you didn't post your system details, I'll give you the steps for a vanilla
CentOS 5.x. These will get you going, but you should read on iptables so you'll
know what you're doing.

To check if iptables is running, and the current rules. If it's NOT, then
there's little of interest to you in this message after this point.
/sbin/iptables -L -n

If it's running, save the current rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:
/etc/init.d/iptables save

To stop it:
/etc/init.d/iptables stop

The rule you'll want to add to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW -m tcp --dport 3000 -j ACCEPT

After you're done, to get the firewall running again:
/etc/init.d/iptables start

Regards,

Nuba