[Catalyst] Renaming a Catalyst Application

Tom Stall tom at es.net
Wed Dec 16 20:57:06 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm rebuilding my development environment from backups after a system
failure.

Being new to Catalyst, I started with the tutorial application "MyApp" and,
as some of the pieces of the tutorial were sound enough to use in a real
application, continued to develop, building new Controllers and Models,
under that space. At some point I decided "MyApp" was not a good name for a
production application, so I renamed the top level directory from "MyApp"
to something better, like "OfficialSoundingProductionApp".

Now that I'm unpacking my backup tar files onto the new system, I decided
to run the "catalyst.pl -force -scripts MyApp" command and start doing
whatever else I'll need, to re-install and such to get going again.

However, the script apparently expects the file paths to start with the app
name on the top level matching the first part of script names. I get the
error: Couldn't create "MyApp/script/myapp_cgi.pl", "No such file or
directory"

So my question is, when I decided to morph the tutorial into a production
application, what would have been the best way to change the name of the
application? (Overall this seem like the proper solution to the current
problem, too.)

Or, barring that, is it possible to update the scripts, (using the
catalyst.pl helper script), when they still have the "MyApp" name prefix,
in a top level directory of a different name?

I might try a link: ln -s OfficialSoundingProductionApp MyApp
to make things work, but the in-elegance of that possible solution  makes
me gasp.

I reinstalled Catalyst Runtime 5.80016 and Development 1.24.
I was at 5.80007. Creating an empty catalyst application serves the default
Catalyst page, so the basic reinstall of Catalyst seems to work.

Thanks,
Tom