[Catalyst] Apache + mod_perl + Digest-SHA fails

Stuart Watt swatt at infobal.com
Wed Dec 16 22:52:51 GMT 2009

Octavian R=E2snita wrote:
> If you use ActivePerl under Windows, mod_perl can be installed from =

> the TheoryX ppm repository and it doesn't require too much configuration.
>
> Using fastcgi under Windows is harder, and I don't even know if it can =

> run as an ExternalServer.
For Apache possibly. The mod_perl "clone" for IIS (ActiveState's PerlEx) =

is virtually unsupported and has (had?) low-level bugs; because it is =

closed source there is almost nothing you do can about them.

We were therefore effectively forced into using FastCGI, which has =

certainly proven portable, scalable, and with acceptable performance =

even under IIS. (IIS, need I say it, was not our choice). IIS FastCGI =

support is now pretty good because of the Zend/Microsoft collaboration, =

although PHP is the principal beneficiary.

Don't get me wrong - I was a big fan of Apache and mod_perl on Windows, =

I was compiling it for mission-critical applications in 2001 - =

applications which were still in use and running stable on the same =

server 8 years later!!!

All the best
Stuart
-- =